Kate Newtown from RadioNZ writes about just how much data private companies are collecting about us, and what they're doing with it.
- The over-collection of data both with and without permission.
- Whether people understand the permission they give - or how meaningful this permission is when you have to agree to it to get your buscard, bank account, or phone service.
- Who the data is shared with.
- Are companies allowed to work out new things about people by analysing the data thet thay have collected?
- Whether anonymised data really is as anonymous as people think.
- How much of this information is then made freely available to the government.